Mission: Contributing to the preservation of genealogical and historical records in the Black Hills area including Rapid City, the Black Hills, and Western South Dakota.
History: The Rapid City Society for Genealogical Research, Inc., began in 1966 with a small group of people interested in finding out about all their ancestors.
- Providing a learning and sharing environment to its members and the public;
- Giving our members help and encouragement in researching their family trees;
- Purchasing genealogy books and microfilm to be placed in the Rapid City Public Library; and
- Preserving and publishing as much history and genealogy of the Black Hills area as possible.
- At our monthly meetings, we have speakers that present topics on different aspects of genealogy.
- Our society publishes a quarterly newsletter, The Black Hills Nuggets, to which members and friends contribute articles of interest.
- Our society sponsors genealogy seminars from time to time.
- We are planning field trips to various historical sites in our area and other educational opportunities relating to genealogy.
Annual membership dues are $25 per calendar year and are due January 31 of each year. To join online, click on "Become a Member" (see menu in blue section to left) and fill out application online. Click on Pay Pal if you wish to pay with Pal Pay account, select Credit Card option, or you may also print out the application and send a check to RCSGR. Mail to Rapid City Society for Genealogical Research, c/o Christal Hexem, 5150 Merritt Road, Black Hawk, SD 57718. If questions, contact our membership chairperson at email@example.com.
Operating Year: January - December 2023
You are welcome to join us for our meetings on the third (3rd) Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. We do not meet in the month of December. Our meetings are held at the:
Faith Lutheran Church
17 Indiana Street
Rapid City, South Dakota
The church is located across from South Middle School. Visitors are welcome to attend. Check our meetings on the Home page for any changes in times or places.
A genealogical educational program is the highlight of the meeting, however, we also hold a brief business meeting and enjoy beverages and snacks. We are usually finished between 8:30 and 9p.m.